Monday, May 19, 2014

The Curriculum - The Syllabus Tuesdays with Morrie

      So far I am really enjoying my new book Tuesdays with Morrie. In the first part I have started picking up on the story line. In the first part the narrator, Mitch Albom, gives a brief explanation of his weekly meetings each Tuesday with Morrie, his former college professor. (he has ALS.) He described these meetings as a flashback of his studies with Morrie, each of them a separate class on the meaning of life. The class had been held in Morrie's home, in his study, where he had watched a pink hibiscus plant shed its leaves.
        I think this plant is showing a symbol of how he is going to shed his leaves (like the plant) and get weaker and weaker throughout the book.  Mitch reflects that no grades had been given, and that no books had been required for his final class with Morrie. A funeral, he says, had been held in place of a graduation, and his final thesis paper is the book that follows. I really like the book so far and I like how I am learning about what different people have to deal with (ALS.) so far it has showed me the quality of life which so far seems like Morries purpose for wanting this book written. So far I would recommend this book!


    

2 comments: